As many of you know, we have been working for a few years on a winter recreation mobile app. When the CBGTA released their summer-based CBG Trails mobile app in May, 2017, we knew it would be best to team up with them to create a winter recreation layer on their already existing mobile app so that all recreation info for Gunnison Valley could be readily available in one place. We are happy to announce that the winter recreation layer is now live.
You can find the CBGTrails app at the Apple App Store and Google Play store as well as the cbgtrails.com website. The current download will include the winter recreation layer. If you already have CBG Trails installed, simply make sure the app is updated to make the winter recreation layer included.
We have so many people to thank for making this possible including Derrick Nehrenberg and the whole team at Traildoc. We also have Gunnison – Crested Butte Tourism Association and Gunnison Valley Sustainable Tourism and Outdoor Recreation Committee to thank for their huge financial contributions. We also thank the following businesses and organizations for their financial contributions:
- Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory
- Crested Butte Mountain Bike Association
- Brick Oven
- Talk of the Town
- Signature Properties
- Gunnison SnoTrackers
- Elk Mountain Lodge
- High Altitude Property Management
- Precise Painting
We also thank the many local businesses, families, and individuals whose membership contributions also went toward funding this winter recreation mobile app.
The winter recreation layer of the CBG Trails mobile app features:
- Zones open and closed to OSV (over-snow vehicle) use and areas that have some restrictions
- Maintained nordic trails in areas around Crested Butte and Gunnison
- Maintained fat-biking trails in areas around Crested Butte and Gunnison
- Uphill routes for Crested Butte Mountain Resort
- Extremes terrain for Crested Butte Mountain Resort
- Information about Winter Manners – etiquette for winter recreationists
- Winter trailhead locations
- Wilderness boundaries
And much more!
Maps can be cached to your phone for offline use and the app works with the GPS on your phone to tell you your location relative to the map.
Now we need you more than ever!
We need you to use the app and give us feedback. We need you to spread the word about this app to locals and tourists alike. We need people to respect closures, land use boundaries, and private property, which is one of the primary reasons for why this app was created.
So, please, download the app today and start using it for all your Gunnison and Crested Butte winter adventures!